What you’ll learn
- Lead family engagement
- Creatively share your personal story
- Build collaborative parent-teacher teams
- Celebrate educational outcomes
- No experience required: Entry level course
4 Steps to Effective Family Engagement, This is an introductory course that will broaden your capacity to build and lead effective family engagement practices. This course is designed to strengthen the partnership between families, educators, and community members to increase shared responsibility for improved academic outcomes.
By the end of this course you will have tools to:
- lead family engagement
- creatively share your personal story
- build a collaborative parent-teacher team;
- celebrate your wins big or small
Family engagement is:
- a culturally responsive approach to authentic relationship building;
- a community of vested partners aligned for student success
Family engagement takes many forms, including:
- homework help
- academic and education expectations
- two-way communication between school and home
- parent/guardian participation in school events, workshops and/or trainings
- serving on parent committees like PTA, PTO, SSC, ELAC and DAC;
- school volunteer
The most accurate predictors of student achievement in school are not family income or social status, but the extent to which the family creates a home environment that encourages learning, communicates high yet reasonable expectations for the child’s achievement, and becomes involved in the child’s education at school. National PTA.
Regardless of family income or background, students whose parents are involved in their schooling are more likely to have higher grades and test scores, attend school regularly, have better social skills, show improved behavior, and adapt well to school. Henderson, A.T., and K.L. Mapp.
Who this course is for:
- Entry level family engagement course for educators, families and community leaders.